Our Ethos for History
At Mapplewell Primary we believe that high quality history lessons inspire pupils to want to know more about the past and to think and act as historians. We aim to develop independent learners and researchers, setting homework tasks linked to history where possible as well as encouraging learners to continue their lines of enquiry outside the classroom. Pupils have opportunities to investigate and interpret the past, understand chronology, build an overview of Britain’s past as well as that of the wider world, and to be able to communicate historically.
We develop pupils with these essential characteristics to help them become an active historian:
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of people, events and contexts from a range of historical periods, including a range of significant events in Britain’s past.
- The ability to support, evaluate and challenge their own and others’ views using historical evidence from a range of sources.
- The ability to think critically, reflect, debate, discuss and evaluate the past, formulating and refining questions and lines of enquiry and present ideas to a range of audiences.
- A passion for history, with a developing sense of curiosity of the past and how and why people interpret the past in different ways.
- A desire to embrace challenging activities, including opportunities to undertake high-quality research across a range of topics.
COMING SOON - OUR HISTORY GALLERY